I wanted to offer you some ideas for conducting your own sacred ceremonies whenever you want to celebrate significant occasions and make respectful connection with your own divine self and significant higher conscious sentient energies in your realms.
There was a time in my life when I travelled annually to the Yucatan where I visited Sacred Sites and studied with Miguel Angel Vergara, a wise Maya shaman. Of course, in keeping with shamanic practice, he did not identify himself as a shaman or priest, but those of us who learned from his connection with ancient teachers and cosmic ones, recognized his sagacious status.
I still celebrate solstices, equinoxes, and key events using Maya ceremony and I routinely connect with the sentient nature in all the energies on our holy mother earth and in the cosmos. I resonate with the energies of the Maya pantheon, the lords and lordess's as Miguel Angel calls them.
The traditional Maya New Year starts on different days each year
because the Tzolkin calendar is based on a 28 day moon cycle. I'm looking forward to Miguel Angel's book which explains the calendars from the indigenous Maya perspective. This is in contrast to José Argüelles' 13 moon calendar, which has its own special energies that bring you closer to the moon cycles. New Years always begins July 26 in his dreamspell version of the Tzolkin.
Designing and celebrating your own ceremony.
As always, get into highest conscious vibration and Connect with your divine self.
You may want to use my suggestions based on Maya tradition, or spend time contemplating and creating your own special ceremony.
- As always, get into highest conscious vibration and Connect with your divine self.
- Set an intention for the ceremony It may be to celebrate a significant day in the annual cycle, or in your life, or even just to express joy and gratitude to the energy of All Your Relations on earth and in the cosmos or to the creator of All That IS. Although many people do ceremony for healing, to aid in natural or human crisis, I would ask you to maintain a higher conscious perspective. When you come from the paradigm of healing and aiding, you are re-creating that as a reality. In highest consciousness there are no problems, no solutions, nothing needs to be healed as ultimately from a pure consciousness paradigm, everything is in its perfect form.
- Designate a sacred space and if you wish create an altar with a beautiful cloth and special items like crystals, candles, icons or decorations.
- Expand and become a huge field of energy
- Connect with the divine energies of the earth and cosmos. (Specific suggestions for who to call in follow.)As you call them in thank them for coming and tell them you love, honour and respect them and thank them for the gifts they give you. You may want to have gifts to show them your gratitude and love.These could include corn, tobacco, chocolate (and liquer for the maya Aluxes, the earth spirits), crystals, flowers, whatever asks to be given.
- Call in the heart of the earth, and heart of the sky. Feel their energy coming in.
- Ask the 4 directions to join you. See hear or sense what symbols represent the directions. The East can represent new life, springtime, new beginnings, innocence, sunrise. Sometimes baby animals will come as representatives of the east or perhaps new projects that want to be created will appear in your awareness. West can represent wisdom, autumn, the void of creation, the mystery, wisdom. Animals such as bear who is partaking of abundance readying to hibernate in caves may come, or the energy may be symbolized by the wise woman or crone. The North energies may represent winter and time for contemplation, reflection, completion. Animals might represent those who take the sun thru the underworld of darkness. Right now the white winter hare is coming to me as a representative of north energies. When I googled his symbolism I found perhaps he came to me,on this day of the new moon, because in aztec folklore people identified the markings on the Moon as a rabbit. According to an Aztec legend, the god Quetzalcoatl,( KuKulcan in maya lands) then living on Earth as a man, started on a journey and, after walking for a long time, became hungry and tired. With no food or water around, he thought he would die. Then a rabbit grazing nearby offered herself as food to save his life. Quetzalcoatl, moved by the rabbit's noble offering, elevated her to the Moon, then lowered her back to Earth and told her, "You may be just a rabbit, but everyone will remember you; there is your image in light, for all people and for all times." (1) The South may represent the summer, the energy of productivity, rapid growth of projects, vitality. Symbols might be the beings who accompany the sun across the daylight sky. Interestingly, In Maya ceremonies I did in the Yucatan the south had the energy of the ancient wise ones, whereas this energy is usually in the North for the first nations people in Canada.
- What ever symbols of the four directions come to you welcome them. You may notice signs, the wind increasing, quiet when it was noisy, birds starting to sing if it was quiet, a tree rustling when there is no breeze. Be Alert and connect with the energy in those signs.
- Call in any higher conscious sentient energies represented by angels, ascended masters, your guides you feel guided to invite.
- You may want to inhale essential oils to increase your connection and expand your vibrations and your field.
- Now speak from your heart to celebrate the intention you have set for your ceremony. If it is to celebrate a special occasion in someone elses life, get into your highest vibeing bliss and share significant moments and memories and what you see as their greatest gifts and future possibilities. If it is to celebrate the new year, or cycle you may wish to write your desires for the coming year or cycle and then release the energy to the universe for manifesting, by burning it, or tearing it to tiny pieces and burying it, to germinate, grow and harvest.
- If you have invited others to be part of your celebration, ask them to participate in the activities you have designed. Ask them to speak from their divine wisdom. Listen with your whole heart, expecting to hear their brilliance articulated. When you listen in this way their divine self comes thru and the listeners are moved and shifted by their awe-inspiring communication.
- Follow your divine selfs guidance for special enhancements to the ceremony. Revel in the sacred space and ceremonial energy. Listen for any messages and information, receive any gifts.
- When it feels complete, thank the divine higher conscious beings, the directions, heart of the earth, heart of the sky and all the energies who came to celebrate.
I hope however you choose to celebrate the New Year, you do so with joy and have fun!